1.15.2004

Review(s): Anadivine, Exhaust x2, Echo and the Bunnymen

Anadivine - Anadivine: I always knew the Coheed and Cambriazation of 'emo' was an inevitablilty. I didn't know, however, just how mediocre the results would be.

Exhaust - Enregistreur: Boring.

Exhaust - Exhaust: The most engaging post-rock album I've heard in a long time from non-heavyweights (GY!BE, ASMZ, EITS, etc).

Echo And The Bunnymen: Crystal Days: 1979-1999: Reviewing a four-disc career overview of an artist whose work you are not familiar with is rather daunting. However, I shall trudge forward. Sounding like any numer of UK bands (Joy Division, Stone Roses, Happy Mondays) during their quest for the original sound, they fail to stand out. That being said, when they are on top of their game (songs like The Killing Moon and Lips Like Sugar) they are nothing more than Echo and the Bunnymen, and this, my friend, is a very good thing. Their works are meant to be listened to as individual albums, and this collection is only for hardcore fans as it contains a wonderful set of live numbers (including a string of covers - Beatles, Dylan, Rolling Stones) and alternate versions of included songs. I recommend you at least check out this band, but perhaps not this collection. I, myself, will be on the lookout for their proper albums (specifically, Crocodiles and Ocean Rain both of which tthe Bible gives 4.5 stars (out of 5))