6.14.2005

Review: Coldplay - X&Y

Coldplay - X&Y: There was no way I could enjoy this album upon first listen. I had built it up over the past three years to be better than phenomenal. What I did not expect was how far away from where I wanted it to be it would become. I once joke that I could listen to an album of Chris Martin farting, but on this album, his voice sounds fake and forced. Broken up into two distinct halves of an album, X (Tracks 1-6) are vastly inferior to Y (Tracks 7-12+). The X songs all sound very similar, and while this worked to good effect in the middle/second half of AROBTTD, it makes one want to just skip to Speed of Sound, which is not only the first single on the album, but also the beginning of Y. While Y seems to get off to a better start, it never picks up the steam it should to close out the album. What does close out the album is the sublime 'Til Kingdom Come, which is the 'secret' song, but is literally the thirteenth track (why is it a secret if you're letting the CD player choose it as a track...). 'Til Kingdom Come is the best song on the album, followed by Speed of Sound. Ultimately, however, it just does not feel like the album AROBTTD is/was, nor is it the pop album Parachutes is/was. The fate of this album I have yet to decide for more time shall be required.

  • Stream Speed of Sound
  • Buy
  • No comments: